View Single Post
Old 07-04-2012, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveboston View Post
...every single time I try to have a discussion about Jesus I end up getting sucked into a conversation about the bible.
Well, since Jesus originally appears in the Bible, that doesn't surprise me. Talking about Jesus is talking about "the bible--" his words are supposedly recorded there. There are other early (2nd, 3rd, 4th cent.) texts that are not considered canonical that round out his character, which I find even more interesting, though.

Quote:
Jesus and the bible aren't one in the same. Jesus ridiculed study of the scripture.
Yes, he debated the elders at age 12 on the meaning of Hebrew scripture, amazing them with his knowledge. Then he moved on to throwing out much of their tradition. "You have heard it said..., but I say to you..."

Quote:
He warned that things would be written about Him that would create false teaching.
Other "Christs," ie: Messiahs, were all around back then. Judeans were looking for anyone to lead them to overthrow the tyranny of Rome, as Cyrus the Persian had overthrown Babylon hundreds of years earlier, allowed the Judean leaders to return to Judah, and rebuild the Temple.

Quote:
He said all of the law and the prophets were summed up with two commands. Love Him as God and love each other and ourselves equally.
This is historically recorded to be the words of another early current era rabbi, Hillel.

Also, according to wikipedia

Quote:
As a concept, the Golden Rule has a history that long predates the term "Golden Rule" (or "Golden law", as it was called from the 1670s).[2][7] As a concept of "the ethic of reciprocity," it has its roots in a wide range of world cultures, and is a standard way that different cultures use to resolve conflicts.[2][6] It has a long history, and a great number of prominent religious figures and philosophers have restated its reciprocal, "two-way" nature in various ways (not limited to the above forms).[2]

Statements that mirror the Golden Rule appear in Ancient Egypt in the story of The Eloquent Peasant.[8][clarification needed] Rushworth Kidder discusses the early contributions of Confucius (551479 B.C.) (See a version in Confucianism below). Kidder notes that this concept's framework appears prominently in many religions, including "Hinduism, Buddhism, Taoism, Zoroastrianism, and the rest of the world's major religions".[9] According to Greg M. Epstein, " 'do unto others' ... is a concept that essentially no religion misses entirely."[10] Simon Blackburn also states that the Golden Rule can be "found in some form in almost every ethical tradition".[11]
So, sure, take it from your "Jesus," if you like, but you don't need to be a "Christian believer" to find the rule of reciprocity makes good ethical sense.

Quote:
Id really like to make connections and have discussions with fellow believers who have decided that they are non-monogamous. An exchange of experiences that includes more than the usual exchange of opinions about the true standard code language of Hogwarts.
Good luck! Christianity had a long tradition of misogygny and sex negativity. It's much easier to practice polyamory from a pagan or agnostic/atheist standpoint/community.
Love withers under constraint; its very essence is liberty. It is compatible neither with envy, jealousy or fear. It is there most pure, perfect and unlimited when its votaries live in confidence, equality and unreserve. -- Shelley

me: Mags, 59, living with:
miss pixi, 37