View Single Post
Old 07-04-2012, 03:20 PM

Default The business of religion

Jesus didn’t say a lot about sex in general and nothing at all about his own sexuality. Speculation about His relationship with the women in His life and about John’s comments that he was the disciple who Jesus loved is just that, pure speculation.

I choose not to speculate. I’m comfortable that of all the words written the words attributed to Christ are the most scrutinized of all.

There are two passages that are thought to be erroneous. Handling snakes and the women at the well.

LUST
Desire for something that doesn't belong to us. Thinking of people as commodities is evil. When Jesus spoke of it He connected it with stealing.

ADULTERY
Corruption of a marriage is forbidden but Israelite and historic Jewish society was polygynous (one man could have many wives or concubines), so the marital status of the man was irrelevant. A concubine is generally a woman in an ongoing, matrimonial-like relationship with a man, whom she cannot marry for a specific reason.

EUNUCH
“For some are eunuchs because they were born that way; others were made that way by men; and others have renounced marriage because of the kingdom of heaven. The one who can accept this should accept it."

Jesus made it plain that being a castrated male is not a requirement to renounce marriage.

There is confusion regarding eunuchs in Old Testament passages, since the Hebrew word for eunuch also referred to other servants and officials who had not been castrated but served in similar capacities
The Greek word is derived from eun , "bed," and ekhein, "to keep" a Eunuch is ideally suited to guard the bedchamber of women.
KJV uses geld in place of Eunuch.
Geld Origin 1250–1300
1. to castrate (an animal, esp. a horse).
2. to take strength, vitality, or power from; weaken or subdue.
NIV states a eunuch renounces marriage, not sexual intimacy.
KJV limits a Eunuch to a castrated male incapable of sexual intimacy.

It’s commonly believed that dildos were created by eunuchs to carry out their duties.

MARRIAGE
According to Jesus a temporary state of being that won’t exist in Heaven. Personally I think marriage provides protection of a mother and her children. I think the prohibition is having children without the protection of marriage.

I don’t know of anyone who would think the advice to not thoughtlessly reproduce isn’t wise.

HOMOSEXUALITY
There is absolutely no reference to anything Jesus said about this issue.

Oftentimes Christ’s statement, "Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them” is used to reinforce the old testament prohibitions of homosexuality along with a myriad of other old and new testament instructions.

For me this is a huge trap. Men have used the words of the bible to create a reality all their own. The debate over slavery and women’s rights comes to mind

THE LAW OF THE PROPHETS
When pressed by a religious hypocrite attorney Jesus summarized the law and the prophets this way:

“‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself. All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”

I Believe in Jesus is God, the only one who I will ever call Lord. These are the words I live by.
• You believe in God; believe also in me.
• Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father
• If you love me, keep my commands
• Anyone who loves me will obey my teaching
• No one can serve two masters. Either he will hate the one and love the other
• He will be devoted to the one and despise the other
• You cannot serve both God and Money.
• My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you.
• For if you forgive men when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you.
• But if you do not forgive men their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins.
• Every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men
• But the blasphemy against His Spirit will not be forgiven.
• "Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing."

THE RELIGIOUS COMMUNITY
I would rather have the battle to not allow anyone to take Christ’s place as god, not being sucked into being asked to be god and loving myself and my neighbor equally than I would the conflict of making a living working for a religious organization.

Taking money in exchange for love is a hard pill for me to swallow. My love is a gift, it is not a commodity.

The greatest enemy, the opposite of Jesus is materialism.

If I love only to be loved in return is that really love?

If I love to receive money in return doesn’t that make me a whore?

Isn’t that why the religious community killed Jesus?

Because He revealed the fact that they are religious whores?

Could it be that the hyper interest of the religious community to delve, carelessly into the personal lives of people they don’t know is a way to divert attention from their disobedience to His command that we hate materialism?

I am not a personal relationship I am a commodity. Hmmm. Where did that idea come from?