View Single Post
Old 07-03-2012, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsor View Post
For bills, we're each taking a utility, so no one gets stuck being the point person for everything (that's a lot of work) and we'll square up at the end of the month. I'm in charge of gas, husband's electric, girlfriend is internet, and boyfriend is water/trash.

We going to try to do more of a hybrid system for groceries. We'll each have our own food, but certain food items will be "house" items that will be added to rent and split between us. So things like salt, olive oil, ketchup, rice, etc. will be from most likely from Costco and shared. We'll each still buy our own veggies, meats, cheese, etc. We haven't discussed if we want to try and eat family style. That's a great point and I'm going to bring that up with the group. Thank you!

We're also going to share all the paper products and cleaning supplies. So I figure a run to Costco once a month for paper towels/toilet paper/laundry detergent/dishwashing detergent, etc. should do it. Interesting point about *who* ends up doing that, because you're right it could get pretty time consuming. It'll probably be me. Hmmm, I wonder if I should add that to the chore spreadsheet. Thanks for pointing that out.
You might want to come up with a budget for all the "shared" items and set a fixed monthly amount for everyone. Put it into a separate checking account to pay the utilities and purchase the joint supplies. Every 4 months sit down and review the actual expenses and adjust it if necessary.