View Single Post
Old 06-30-2012, 09:49 PM

“Sin lies only in hurting others unnecessarily. All other "sins" are invented nonsense.”
― Robert A. Heinlein

Which of course begs the question of what is "unnecessarily" - you "hurt" your children by punishing them because you believe it is, ultimately, in their best interest...of course you could be wrong.

Ultimately, as an agnostic, I have only myself to answer to - informed by the reactions/responses of people I care about and respect. Am I being the best person that I can be? Are my actions increasing the general level of happiness in the universe (including, but certainly not limited to, my own) or detracting from it? Is the short-term pain worth the long-term gain for everyone involved? Or is the short-term gain overshadowed by the long-term pain?

Three (or more) happier people working together to be open, honest, and caring vs. three (or more) people denying themselves to each other and making themselves miserable by suppressing themselves to fit some societal pseudo-moral ideal**? I know what seems the more moral option TO ME...

JaneQ

**I say pseudo-moral because I agree with Professor de La Paz in Heinlein's "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress":

"In terms of morals there is no such thing as 'state.' Just men. Individuals. Each responsible for his own acts."
Lotus: poly bi female, "it's complicated" relationships with Dude/JaneQ/MrS
TT: poly bi male, married to Lotus, FB with JaneQ
VV and MsJ: bi-women with male primaries, LTR LDR FWBs to JaneQ

My poly blogs on this site:
The Journey of JaneQSmythe
The Notebook of JaneQSmythe