View Single Post
Old 06-25-2012, 04:27 AM

Originally Posted by feelyunicorn View Post
The differences to me between open vs. poly or swingers (or, even, "open relationship" singular) are:

a) open relationships seem to place less emphasis on family, live-in arrangements, and marriage than either poly or swingers;
I wouldn't agree that poly of necessity involves any emphasis on family, live-in relationships. Not in the slightest.

b) open relationships seem to lay further along the sex-positivity scale than poly; no taboo around NSA and DADT;
I also don't see open as any more sex-positive than poly. There's nothing about either that is more or less sex-positive. DADT is not more sex-positive than disclosure.

c) open relationships seem to still allow for multiple emotional bonds (hence open relationships, instead of open relationship no "s") to coexist, as opposed to swinging.
Open--and my wife and I are also open in addition to poly--includes NSA, casual FWB, one night stands, etc.--all that stuff that doesn't involve romantic relationships. It may or may not involve DADT.
When speaking of various forms of ain't poly if you're just fucking around.

While polyamory, open relationships, and swinging are all distinctly different approaches to non-monogamy, they are not mutually exlusive. Folks can, and some do, engage in more than one of them at a time--and it's all good.