View Single Post
Old 06-25-2012, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by feelyunicorn View Post
The differences to me between open vs. poly or swingers (or, even, "open relationship" singular) are:

a) open relationships seem to place less emphasis on family, live-in arrangements, and marriage than either poly or swingers;
I wouldn't agree that poly of necessity involves any emphasis on family, live-in relationships. Not in the slightest.

Quote:
b) open relationships seem to lay further along the sex-positivity scale than poly; no taboo around NSA and DADT;
I also don't see open as any more sex-positive than poly. There's nothing about either that is more or less sex-positive. DADT is not more sex-positive than disclosure.

Quote:
c) open relationships seem to still allow for multiple emotional bonds (hence open relationships, instead of open relationship no "s") to coexist, as opposed to swinging.
Open--and my wife and I are also open in addition to poly--includes NSA, casual FWB, one night stands, etc.--all that stuff that doesn't involve romantic relationships. It may or may not involve DADT.

While polyamory, open relationships, and swinging are all distinctly different approaches to non-monogamy, they are not mutually exlusive. Folks can, and some do, engage in more than one of them at a time--and it's all good.