View Single Post
Old 06-19-2012, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by Magenta View Post
How many kids do you have and how old are they?
And how on earth can you be a full-time stay at home dad and a full-time student at the same time?! Do you have a clone?

I think, independently of dating someone, you should get time for yourself.

Can't your wife have some regular evenings with the kid(s) and you hang out with friends?
No clones, just some rather tight scheduling.
I have 2 kids, my son is 6yrs and daughter is 12 months.
I'm able to juggle so far with the help of a really great mom (who's also a former teacher from my son's school) who provides cheap daycare. I do some online courses, but mostly on-campus. During the regular school season, I schedule my classes in one block, early in the morning. Then it's off to pick up the kids, drag 'em home, play for a bit, fix dinner, tuck 'em in and settle into homework.
Up until last week, my wife worked full time (she was a full time student until last year, too. She graduated with a B.A. in historical studies) and she didn't come home until around dinner time.
Currently, we're getting ready for a family trip back home in Maine, so the evenings alone with friends wont come until we get back, but it's definitely in the works.

So, all in all, my time has been more tied-up recently for various reasons and I've spent almost all of it at home. From here onward this will change and I'll be investing some of that time into my social life.

Most of your responses ('your' meaning the community here) have, if nothing else, helped to re-ground me, so thank you. I was terrible at social intricacies in high school, and some of that has been starting to haunt me
A deep breath, patience and some faith go a long way.