View Single Post
Old 06-04-2012, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vixtoria View Post
Whether we like it or not, marriage is assumed to be a mono relationship UNLESS STATED OTHERWISE. Just as it is assumed people are straight unless stated otherwise. Is it fair? Probably not, but there it is. So to say that you never actually SAID you were mono in vows is a ridiculous argument to me.

Even if we don't agree with the assumptions made if we KNOW they are made, and do nothing to correct them at the beginning, then those assumptions are thought to be valid.
"Marriage is assumed" . . . by whom? The passive voice blurs the issue here.

As far as I'm concerned, marriage is an agreement between two people to become life partners. Whatever understanding the two have going in, the terms of that partnership will have to be clarified, amended, and modified all along the way, in response to increased understanding and changing circumstances, if the partnership is to last.

All contracts can be renegotiated with the mutual consent of the contracting parties.

The failure of public institutions or popular imagination to compass the possibility of an open marriage, or a marriage in which one or both partners is polyamorous, or even (gasp!) a marriage of more than two people, doesn't have a whole lot of bearing on the way in which my wife and I set, or re-set, or re-re-set the terms of our life together.

"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge" - Charles Darwin

"Mystical explanations are considered deep. The truth is that they are not even superficial." - Friedrich Nietzsche