View Single Post
Old 06-02-2012, 02:16 AM
Official Greeter

Re (from feelyunicorn, Post #13):
Quote:
"I simply think some people are monogamous, and some others (a minority) are polyamorous."
LOL, damn ... I thought the "debate" was over whether the majority or *everyone* was intrinsically polyamorous (or nonmonogamous). Kind of refreshing hearing a different viewpoint indeed, thanks for posting that.

As for me, the jury is out. I simply don't know what approximate percentage of intrinsically monogamous or polyamorous people there are. I can't prove that all monogamous/closed relationships are not, well, an abusive form of slavery. But I'm also a big believer in the vast uniqueness of individuals, so I'm usually really skeptical about blanket statements.

I should also note that my sitch is poly-fi; that is, no sex is allowed outside the three-person circle. It's possible that the circle could become a four-person circle, but that would be a painstaking process, and in the meantime, casual hook-ups (or any hook-up without a huge commitment and intro to the circle) are a big no-no (for us). That's kind of another definition for the word "closed."

So, are we abusively subjecting each other to sexual slavery? I guess I can't "prove" we're not, but I can say I don't feel like a slave (or abused).

Anyway, I reckon there's many kinds of closed and/or monogamous relationships. Some are dysfunctional, some not. I'd hesitate to throw out any percentage estimates, you'd really have to be a mind-reader to know for sure.