View Single Post
Old 05-25-2012, 08:30 PM

I play piano (13 years of lessons), clarinet/bass clarinet (advanced amateur) and took drum lessons for two years as an adult learner. About learning the drum in my 30s: a friend of ours who is a real drummer wanted to play guitar at a basement jam session one night - I sat down at the drum set to be a "metronome" for the group and discovered I really liked it (feels like dancing and making music at the same time) - wanted to get the "basics" right so I could "fill in" more appropriately. MrS bought me a student set from the Pennysaver.

I can pick up most wind instruments and, with a fingering chart, "learn" the basics relatively quickly. Completely hopeless with strings. Completely tone deaf (although I love to sing I try not to inflict that on others) and can't "play by ear" at all. But, I can sight-read. Funny thing - on the piano I can improvise - but only in C-minor, on the clarinet only in F-blues.

I would much rather make music than listen to it. I rarely listen to music unless I am in the mood to "sing along" in the car - for that I prefer folk rock and oldies and a few "alternative" groups from when I was in college (in the 90s) and some quirky stuff that no-one has ever heard of. Songs not albums for me (I often will not even know the name of a group who sings a song that I like).

JaneQ
Lotus: poly bi married female, "it's complicated" relationships with Dude/JaneQ/MrS (1+ years)
+ "others" = FBs, FWBs, lover-friends, platonic G/BFs, boytoys, etc.

My poly blogs here:
The Journey of JaneQSmythe
The Notebook of JaneQSmythe

Last edited by JaneQSmythe; 05-25-2012 at 08:35 PM.