View Single Post
Old 11-29-2009, 05:01 PM

Default collective unconscious

I believe in the collective unconscious. I believe that, in the last hundred or so years, we have begun the slow, painful process of becoming a truly global society. With technology at our fingertips, we are beginning to evolve into something the human race has never had the opportunity to become. A global village. Our interconnectedness is becoming more of a known reality everyday, but I don't think we're anywhere near the precipice of global enlightenment. In fact, I don't think this will happen for a few more centuries, but I do believe it will happen.

I am, at heart, an optimist. I believe in the innate goodness of all people, but I am not naive enough to think that goodness and technological advances are enough to bring us into a new age of spiritual awakening. That, in my experience, comes from trauma. We must make our mistakes fully to understand what is at stake. In this context, that means wars, ecological disasters, human rights atrocities and the like must all be fully experienced for the collective unconscious to shift to a place where we are one connected, enlightened community.

These are heady concepts, to be sure, but even the most ignorant Walmart shopper; even the most impoverished laboring child; even the most power hungry war-monger is subject to influence by a collective wave of mass empathy. Is this tsunami upon us? No. Is it building? I sure as Hell hope so.

I am not a religious man by any means, but I consider myself very spiritual. I have faith that every human has the capacity to look beyond how their society has taught them to act and to see what their true nature is. The more love we give to the world, the more love will be received.

Spiritual awakening? Not yet, I think. We're still dreaming.