View Single Post
Old 05-16-2012, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFarFromRight View Post
e) There are some - as Mya was the first on this thread to point out - who mix a bit of swinging with a bit of poly (and for me the two ARE definitely different). Since they don't shut out the potential of emotional involvement - and I would go even further and say "even if they consciously shut out that potential in limited cases, but are basically poly" - they are part of this community and if they need to talk about issues to do with the loveless-sex aspects of their whole poly-friendly existence, I think that's fair enough. Perhaps they should label this clearly, so that the rest of us know right from the start of a thread.
Wow - now you're really putting words in my mouth and making me something I'm not. First of all, I'm not a swinger. Swingers are couples who have non-emotional sexual encounters with other people. I don't do that as a couple nor do I reject the possibility of developing feelings. And when you say I mix "swinging" with "a bit of poly" that makes it sound like I'm only a bit poly, but not really. If I have two partners that I love and am committed to and share my life with, but I also have a person that I have sex with, that I have a crush on, but that I don't love or am not committed to - that makes me somehow less poly than others? So that means that poly-fi is the real thing, more poly than open poly? You know, when you say things like "if they need to talk about issues to do with the loveless-sex aspects of their whole poly-friendly existence, I think that's fair enough", you sound quite condescending.

Then to a general point of this thread. I have to admit that I clearly didn't understand the OP's original point. That might be because I don't read the relationship corner much and the dating & friendships section even less. So if there really is a tendency toward "I'm looking for sex and nothing else", then no, that doesn't belong to a poly discussion board. But because I hadn't seen that many those kinds of threads, I thought the OP was referring to the sex-related topics here on general poly discussions or the gray areas of relationships that many of us have pointed out.