View Single Post
Old 05-06-2012, 10:54 PM

I don't know, he looks pretty natural on the cover of Hollywood Reporter.

From their article:
His energy may be flagging, but some drive keeps propelling him forward, in an unending race to achieve more — or outrun his inner demons.

The 2001 departure of Jane Fonda from his life, after a 10-year marriage, may have fueled this. He admits it shook him profoundly and perhaps contributed to the sense one has of his being emotionally adrift, no matter how vast his accomplishments. Often, during our conversations, he tunnels down a track of his own — spending 15 minutes on his Voluntary Initiatives, for instance — as if his mind is full of his own thoughts and private obsessions.

He has replaced Fonda with a new arrangement, alternating among four girlfriends, each of whom gets approximately a week per month of his time. "Pretty much, that’s the general rule,” he says.

One, novelist Elizabeth Dewberry, is with him here in New York, where he’s spending some time for U.N. Week. Charming and refined, she assures me in the few seconds we get to speak that Turner is 
affectionate and fully loving, whatever Fonda’s statements may have 
implied to the contrary. But Dewberry’s history is almost as complicated as her lover’s: She was married to Pulitzer Prize-winning author Robert Olen Butler, who wrote a somewhat extraordinary e-mail to his colleagues when she left him for Turner. "She will not be Ted’s only girlfriend,” he mused. “Ted is permanently and avowedly nonmonogamous. But though he has several girlfriends, it is a very small number, and he does not take them 
up lightly, and he gives them his absolute support when he does. And 
Elizabeth’s leaving me is as much about the three weeks a month she is alone as it is about the week a month she is with Ted."

Turner doesn’t name the other women in his life. When asked if they are OK with this division of spoils, he hesitates. "Sort of.”

He misses intimacy, he says, but recognizes: “I’ve been married three times, and with my background in baseball [Turner owned the Atlanta Braves], I remember the first rule of the game is, three strikes and you’re out. I regret that I wasn’t more successful with my marriages, but it is what it is.” Is he lonely? He pauses. "Maybe a little.”
The rest of the article is pretty good. He seems like a decent man who still has lots of insecurities. It's here:
The world opens up... when you do.

"Oh, oh, can't you see? Love is the drug for me." ~Bryan Ferry
"Love and the self are one . . ." ~Leo Buscaglia "

Click here for a Solo Poly view on hierarchical relationships
Click here to find out why the Polyamorous Misanthrope is feeling disgusted.