View Single Post
Old 05-06-2012, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackUnicorn View Post
I'm just thinking about what to do if there are explosive break-ups.
You have lots of people to support you and get you through. I had a break up that upset me and yet still hung out with him and his new gf in our group. It was a great experience that helped me grow. We all talked openly about what was going on with everyone.
Quote:
Or if an STD spreads super-quickly in the community...
Well, in the group I belonged to, this did not come up. If anyone had anything, it was dealt with privately.
Quote:
And how to protect everyone's privacy. Some people I know seem to get some weird satisfaction from knowing (both in the biblical and non-biblical sense) as many people as possible in the alt community... I enjoy good gossip when gossip's due, but it just seems weirdly controlling to me for some to aim to know everything about everyone they are dating, used to date, could potentially date and all the dates of all the people already mentioned.
Well, for me, I don't tend to hang out with people who are that immature and calculating. That's the thing about only aligning oneself with the "alt" community. Is that really enough of a connection? Alternative interests attract lots of people who may or may not be emotionally/psychologically/spiritually healthy. The small communities I've been a part of were connected by a dedication to personal growth, and I wouldn't have been a part of those groups if I didn't already like the people who were in them first. We didn't really get into gossip, but that is a personal pet peeve of mine. If gossip was going on, I refused to participate. If anyone acted like an ass, they were taken to task by members (and leaders) of the group, either privately or within our gatherings, if appropriate. People who were inappropriate too many times were asked to leave the group.

Sorry for the hijack, RP!

"Oh, oh, can't you see? Love is the drug for me." ~Bryan Ferry
"Love and the self are one . . ." ~Leo Buscaglia

Click here for a Solo Poly view on hierarchical relationships
Click here to find out why the Polyamorous Misanthrope is feeling disgusted.

Last edited by nycindie; 05-06-2012 at 10:04 PM.