View Single Post
Old 11-28-2009, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceoli View Post
Ok, as a person who works in special needs education and therapy and has a certain amount of knowledge in the area of brain wiring, I have to call bullshit on that.
In terms of "hard wiring," I'll agree that's the case.

When one considers that we also "wire" our brains by building synaptic pathways via education and training, then one can discuss "wiring" in that fashion and how it affects prehension. If one has firmly-established neural pathways associated with relationships, then different understandings of relationships do go against that "wiring."

Now, as we can change that sort of "wiring" and reprogram our brains, then it certainly doesn't doom us to a lifetime of being unable to grasp a different viewpoint or experience. The question is one of finding where the "hard wiring" leaves off and the "soft wiring" begins.

There are folks for whom a single, lifelong pairing is the only thing they're comfortable with. Others are only comfortable with a series of exclusive pairings. Others with a strong pairing and some dalliances on the side. Others with two or three pairings at a time. And so on. I suspect there is a spectrum of proclivities due to nature, and then a bunch of modification possible due to nurture.

So, I see it a good thing to discuss the differences in outlook. I don't see it as very useful to think that people are locked into a single outlook from the outset and unto eternity--though it's certainly possible in some cases. I expect most of us have a good deal of flexibility possible in our behaviors and outlooks because we can reprogram our brains in lots of ways, which would make discussions of viewpoints highly contextual.

While polyamory, open relationships, and swinging are all distinctly different approaches to non-monogamy, they are not mutually exlusive. Folks can, and some do, engage in more than one of them at a time--and it's all good.