View Single Post
Old 11-28-2009, 03:22 PM

Default Wiring

I think both Red & Ceoli have made valid points in this discussion. I relate to Red when she bring up (basically) "Why does it matter" because sometimes we tend to "think" ourselves into a "can't see the tree for the forest" situation. And that I agree with !
And yet Ceoli raises the important point that in trying to build broader awareness and better understanding/communication, we have to toss stuff like this on the table occasionally. Being someone with some reasonable background in brain chemistry myself and trying to stay somewhat current with developments, I also shiver a bit when I hear anyone throw out a statement about being "wired" for anything ! That's real dangerous & debatable territory.
But I do firmly believe that the ONE thing we are all "wired" for is a need for safety & security. And a second high amperage circuit there is connected to keeping things......predicable....known. We tend to resist change - be it in in our lifestyle or our thinking. It requires energy and threatens to pull us out of our "comfort" zone. We don't like that ! (most of us)
And what bigger tiger is there to threaten our security & comfy zone than having all the "values" we were raised with tossed out as bait ? But maybe - just maybe the tiger is paper ? Whether to "fight or flee" (that basic wiring) is in the end very much an individual choice. Some are braver than others. And some have found lots of paper tigers.

GS