View Single Post
Old 11-28-2009, 08:13 AM

Nyx, I agree with a lot of what you are saying. I think we should learn to be happy with what we have. Sustainable happiness comes from appreciating the life you have, not the life you wish you had. You can't buy your way into happiness.

Now that being said, we need to be careful about picking on Walmart customers and Walmart itself. They used goods and services from very poor countries which could involve child labor and sweat shops. But that is not necessarily bad. When industrial countries have closed down or tried to stop sweat shops, it is really the children and poor that suffer from this effort. A lot of the time, the choice for a child is sweat shop or prostitution. I see it as the lesser of the evils. Plus over time, the country gains wealth and may eventually prosper. I am not saying that I like sweat shops, but I don't want to cause more harm by shutting them down.

River, I have been very interested in the energy problems facing the world. I got my degree in nuclear engineering & health physics. From my perspective, we need to invest in better and cleaner energy sources. It will take some time to go from fossil fuels to cleaner energy. Oil production ispeaking, so we will probably start using tar (twice the carbon emissions) or liquified coal (also bad on carbon emissions).

I think solar, nuclear and conservation will be the longer term solutions to energy production. They both can use more R&D. For example, one proposal that my lab is working on is using fusion and fission to burn fuel. It is designed to get rid of high level waste. Not real sure if it will work, but so far there are no show stoppers.

I think we are all hoping for a better world where we are happier and are getting our needs and desires met.