View Single Post
Old 05-01-2012, 11:03 PM
Official Greeter
Default Kevin's Part II Answers

These'll be a lot easier to answer than the "Part I" riddles, although not because everyone would answer these in the same way. So, as promised (and for any who might be interested), here are my answers to my own "Part II" riddles.

Riddle #1, answered:
  • Polyamorous is the "most opposite" to monogamous. So say I. After all, it is opposite both in prefix (poly- versus mono-) and in suffix (-amorous versus -gamous).
  • Monoamorous is the most opposite to polygamous. Similar to my explanation in the previous bullet point.
Riddle #2, answered:
  • Polyamorous is the "most similar" to polygamous. This is a bit tougher of a call, but I am going with the prefix (poly-) as the more important determiner (than the suffix).
  • Monogamous is the most similar to monoamorous. Similar explanation as in my previous bullet point.
Riddle #3, answered:
  • I think "monoamorous" would be the most opposite to "polyfidelitous." Polyfidelity is kind of a marriage-like arrangement, and monoamorous "lacks" the -gamous suffix. (So does polyfidelitous, but the "-fidelitous" suffix serves as something of a substitute.)
  • This is tough, since (as I explained in the Part I answers), I kind of put swing midway between polyamory and monogamy (or monoamory, and I've sort of used monogamy and monoamory interchangeably). I suppose "swinger" is the most opposite to polygamy, since in polygamy there are multiple partners and the -gamy suffix suggests a lot of structure/commitments among the multiple partners.
Riddle #4, answered:
  • Polyfidelitous is probably the "most similar" to polygamous. Not the patriarchal polygyny that polygamy often connotes, but the theoretical/egalitarian version of polygamy.
  • Really tricky, like in the last riddle, but I'll say swinging is the "most similar" to monogamous. Swing is traditionally centered around a monogamous marriage ... although now I know there are many polyamorists (and monoamorists) who swing.
Again, it's important to understand that these aren't "perfect" answers. Indeed, I designed the riddles to "defy" perfect answering. For example, given monogamy, monoamory, and polyamory (and even polygamy), which on earth is the most "similar" to swing? None of the above, frankly. Swing (or the lack thereof) exists independent of the form of one's core relationship/s. I only answered that one on the basis of how swing is "commonly" or "traditionally" understood. Not a very strong basis for an answer, but I suppose it'll do.
Love means never having to say, "Put down that meat cleaver!"