View Single Post
Old 04-26-2012, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by km34 View Post
Who here is following in kind? Most of the people on this forum advocate for polyamory to be accepted either on a personal level with friends and family or publicly by hosting/speaking at events.

I think the gist is that you can't expect everyone's outlooks to change all at once. You have to acknowledge that even if YOU are poly, others are mono. If you can't accept that,why should they accept you?

No matter how monogamy initially developed, it is the most common relationship structure of this day and age. Some people love it, and even if they learnabout alternatives choose it.

On a side note, I think calling people who choose monogamy "conformist" even though they are following their emotions is awful. Also, I find using the term "ignorant" as a derivative is way off base. A lack of knowledge is nothing to be ashamed of - the refusal to respect people and learn is. Oh, and why can people blame the white men for everything and it is considered valid, but if I got all bent out of shape about something that could be blamed on black people or Native Americans or Chinese people etc. I'm racist?
People 'love' monogamy enough to fight, suffer, break up, lie, divorce, cheat, eventually hate one another or otherwise deviate from it destructively about 99% of the time it's tried. It is also true that many people who are monogamists are conforming to a social convention. I accept that, and I accept the people who do all of these things. I never said I hated anyone or looked down on others. I think you are reading that stuff into a much more abstract discussion about sexuality & social trends.

That said, I'm not poly, or mono, or any such label. I'm emotionally liberated, and right now I have only one partner, and she has only me. It's new and not many people even know about the philosophy yet.

I never use ignorant as an insult unless it's willful ignorance.

I said Europe and Asia, so I am putting down rich Oriental men from centuries past as well as white men for creating a culture where women are property and relationships are based on money & exclusivity. If you can prove that underprivileged women from Venus actually did it, let me know & I'll criticize them. :-)