View Single Post
Old 04-25-2012, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycindie View Post
<snip> ...I do agree that is is a bit of a stretch -- but not totally off-base.

If there is any kind of cult worship going on in poly circles, I would call it as The Cult of The Holy Dyad. You know, where the couple at the center must preserve their couplehood at all costs, but wants to "add" a woman to "complete" them, yet putting everyone else's needs as secondary or minor compared to the all-important dyad, no matter who else gets hurt in the process. Man, that gets so tiresome to read in post after post in this and other forums. I always feel sorry for the poor unsuspecting pigeons that wind up in relationships with people like that.

Unless an established couple is willing to shatter all systems they have in place, and the old beliefs about what a couple and a relationship is supposed to be, and unless they are willing to allow that their cozy little dyad will morph into something else when they have additional partners, why bother with polyamory at all? Might as well just call it monogamy and admit that those secondaries are just playthings who will be dropped like a hot potato in deference to The Holy Dyad. ... <snip>

Very well said! Bad behaviors are bad behaviors, and all people are capable of them. If a couple isn't open to redefining their couple-ness when they add a relationship to their structure, and they treat every other partner as a "less-than" plaything, that doesn't sound healthy to me at all.

Thanks for expanding on this idea.