View Single Post
Old 04-24-2012, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdt26417 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycindie View Post
I think this whole exercise is a waste of time. I don't need to identify myself on any sliding scale of anything.
Well wait a minute, doesn't that mean you also dismiss the Kinsey scale?
Hmm, in a way. I don't completely dismiss it. I acknowledge that it is how Kinsey quantified the findings in his research, but I don't really pay much attention to it. I really don't see how the Kinsey scale is relevant to me or why it should mean anything in my life. Sure, I know about Kinsey, saw the biopic, but I actually never even heard of the Kinsey scale until I started looking into polyamory and visiting various poly forums in late 2010. So that means I lived 50 years without knowing or caring what the Kinsey scale is. It was never even discussed in a health class I took in college (or it was and I never remembered it), so I don't know why some poly people seem preoccupied with it, nor why anyone would start off an introduction with where they are on the scale. The existence of it never impacted me at all. If it is something that is useful to the LGBT folks, that I wouldn't know about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdt26417 View Post
I just want to point out that it, too, is a 2D continuum. Is the Kinsey scale of any real use (to anyone)? Should it be done away with? And I ask that about the Lorax scale also.
Well, no one can really do away with the Kinsey scale, since it is something that was published long ago and exists as a kind of conclusion in Kinsey's research. However, does a researcher's placement of certain predilections on some imaginary scale really have anything to do with how people live their lives? Sure, I suppose it can be a useful tool for people who need to figure out a way to express their sexuality, but -- do we go around asking ourselves if we are living up to where we should be on that scale before we interact with the people in our lives? No, I don't really think the Kinsey scale matters all that much in the grand scheme of things.

Who dreamed up the goofily-named Lorax scale? Never heard of it until this thread. Since there are myriad ways to live polyamorously, how in the hell can some 2-dimensional sliding scale even attempt to describe a person's experience or approach... what is this silly scale meant to do, anyway? Not very useful except for having pseudo-intellectual arguments. Yeah, on second thought... I do think the Lorax scale can be done away with.

Oh, oh, can't you see? Love is the drug for me. ~Bryan Ferry
"Love is that condition in which another person's happiness is essential to your own." ~Robert Heinlein

Last edited by nycindie; 04-24-2012 at 09:06 AM.