View Single Post
Old 04-22-2012, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by feelyunicorn View Post
Anyway, what was your first poly meeting like? What was going through your mind prior to it? What were your expectations and fears? How did you feel before, during, and after? What was your relationship status at the time? Do you still attend?

I would love to hear your experience. Thank you.
In no way is this the norm: I met CielDuMatin at my first poly meeting.

I was 22 and single, having determined that I ought not to pursue out of desperation any longer. I was and still am some kind of queer. I also had no driver's licence, so I dragged my dad to the meeting. I decided that if nothing else, this would be a story for Mum.

I don't think I expected much. I wasn't afraid, mainly because people tend to think twice about messing with me if my dad's there. (Mainly because my dad is little but very scary.) I was a bit... wary, I think, of being the youngest, because I had always been the youngest when it came to my sort of interest groups.

I felt a little out of place throughout. I didn't get the warm fuzzies. It wasn't the age thing. It turned out that, with the exception of CdM and his partner, I really had very little in common with anyone. One woman pretty much did what I feared and treated me like a child, even offering to hook me up with her son. The leader took a bit too much interest, I think.

After, I was happy to have made two new friends. CdM and I emailed back and forth for weeks until I got up the guts to ask him if maybe he'd consider trying it out with me, and he said yes, and I about died of shock because hot, worldly guys did NOT land in my lap, ever. That turned out to be a problem for the group leader. As the problem persisted, I felt less and less comfortable in that group. I made other friends, and as far as I was concerned, those friends were enough for me. The group wasn't a good fit, though some of the people were. Does that make sense?

I wish you far better luck, group-wise, than I had!

Refuge in Audacity { home of the post-raph stunner }