View Single Post
Old 04-21-2012, 06:05 PM

That's a tough one. I went through similar stuff with my parents. I told them they were not to talk to my son about their concerns or they would not see him again. I also told them that if they wanted to talk about their concerns then they could but only after they did some reading and research. I gave them books and website addresses. I told them I would not listen to negative talk about my life as they would not want to hear me talk negatively about them and what they do. If they were going to talk to me in such a way I would not respond.

It took a good six months of no talking at all, then a bit of talking where we all remained firm in our convictions and boundaries and then everything slowly got better and eased up in intensity and negativity. Now they see that we are all happy, all healthy and they honestly could not see us without each other.

It takes time and a lot of reprogramming how they see relationships. They are victims of how our culture sees relationships. Its not their fault, but they do have control about how they talk to you and you have control over how you choose to be spoken to. If you think about it, if you can get through this you can get through anyone dissing your lifestyle. Its good practice and will make you stronger. If you choose that.

It will also make your relationship stronger with your parents if you choose that and offer that. They could decide not to take you up on that, but maybe one day they will. I would think that deciding to always be open to talk will make you feel that you are doing all you can do to create change. That's how I felt during that time anyway.

Try doing a tag search for "coming out" as there are a lot of threads that might be helpful. This is a well talked about topic of discussion on this forum.