View Single Post
Old 04-05-2012, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycindie View Post
I think it has only become more common for men to wear wedding rings in the last 20 years or so. Before then, it was often considered only optional for the husband. I remember, in my late teens and early 20s, when I was going to bars and clubs, it was always a given that just because a man did not wear a ring did not mean he wasn't married. We had to ask if we wanted to know, because lots of married men just didn't wear rings. Hell, I will still ask if I don't see one. One just cannot assume anything!
indie, back in the day, when we were going to bars & clubs, there were lots of hippies and children of hippies who weren't wearing rings. I think before that it was also more common (and I'll take your word for it about nowadays)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycindie View Post
I wonder if originally a wedding ring was only meant for the woman to wear as a signal (like having been branded) that she "belonged to" someone, since for a long time the institution of marriage was about wives being the property of their husbands.
The common story is that it was a symbol of what used to be chains (fetters) of slavery, and a reminder that women were property.

Current bf and I sometimes discuss our fantasy wedding, and he always brings up that he doesn't think he could wear a ring. I offer the solution of a tattoo.
I'd like to get a white tattoo (or even scarification) of a snake on a finger.

Me: female, bi, (formerly hinge of a vee)
with FirstBoyFriend (FBF)(moderately long-distance)
and no longer with CurrentBoyFriend (CBF)(who lives in the apartment building next door)