View Single Post
Old 04-05-2012, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CielDuMatin View Post
Just a comment on this - why do you feel the need to be legally married? Some folks do have lots of good reasons why, some do it because they feel it's the "highest form of commitment".

You can't legally marry more than one, but you can enter into all sorts of contractual agreements that give most of the trappings of marriage.
I hold marriage in pretty high esteem. I think it's one thing to be in a long-term relationship, but to be MARRIED, to declare yourself in front of friends and family, and legally too, that's like "the final frontier". I don't consider divorce as an option for myself, so if I marry someone, I intend it to last for the rest of my life.

And yeah, I guess there are ways around it...I remember a book that was published to help gay couples create legal bonds that are similar to marriage (I think that the legal benefits of marriage are very important)...if I'm ever in that situation I guess I'd do that, but a marriage license would be so much less hassle (and less expensive too). But I guess that's the cost of being alive now and not 100 years in the future.

Last edited by StarTeddy; 04-05-2012 at 03:04 AM. Reason: I really should proofread my posts more.