View Single Post
Old 04-04-2012, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polypenguin View Post
Scott, to answer your question about what I typed into google it was "34,000 sects." wether that number is current amounts, or the collective of 2,000 years, it matters very little.
Regarding sects, I found a little blurb on it on religioustolerance.org:
"...if you believe in it, it is a religion or perhaps 'the' religion;
and if you do not care one way or another about it, it is a sect;
but if you fear and hate it, it is a cult." Leo Pfeffer. A humorous quotation, but one that is uncomfortably close to reality.

I found the following articles on the subject of denominations. It would appear that the number the number of denominations (the article didn't use the term sects) is rather fuzzy; it would also appear that the number of denominations has grown rapidly in the last 40 years, which means that many of the denominations spoken of are present day....
The 20,000 30,000 numbers and David Barrett's statistics

The 20,000 30,000 numbers and David Barrett's statistics Part II

Quote:
The point being written word is and always has been interpretible.
Not all bibles are the same either though, so it's also a matter of what texts are being interpreted.

Quote:
Hence the reason there are many different translations of the bible itself. It begs the question of the authors themselves, did they interpret what god told them to write? And in doing so, did they write how they saw it, or word for word?
This ofcourse assumes that God is separate from the people who wrote the bible; I don't personally believe this to be the case (I believe God is everything, so that would include the people who wrote the bible). I don't believe in a perfect God at this point in time; I don't believe that a perfect God would create imperfect creatures. If God was perfect, he'd create perfect creatures that, of their own free will, would always do the right thing. He'd also never have created the Devil, because clearly the Devil is imperfect. Personally, I find it rather interesting that if you add an o to God you get Good and if you take away the d from Devil you get Evil. Good and Evil, Dark and Light, are concepts that have been with humanity for quite a long time.

Quote:
on top of that, the bible says "you shall not add to the word I command of you, nor take from it." Deuteronomy 4:2. So, how can any bible which is not of the original language be correct, as every one of those has been altracated and interpreted.
I save myself from such quibbles by not taking the bible too seriously. To quote one of my favourite lines on religion from one of my favourite fictional series, Dune:
"Religion is the emulation of the adult by the child. Religion is the encystment of past beliefs: mythology, which is guesswork, the hidden assumptions of trust in the universe, those pronouncements which men have made in search of personal power… all mingled with shreds of enlightenment. And always the ultimate unspoken commandment is "Thou shalt not question!" But we do anyway. We break that commandment as a matter of course. The work to which we have set ourselves is the liberating of the imagination, the harnessing of imagination to humankind's deepest sense of creativity."

I find it rather ironic that my favourite books regarding beliefs are fictional ones; the old line "there is truth in your fiction and fiction in your truth" comes to mind. If you're reading or doing it because you -like- it instead of because it's been "ordained", well.. consensus is the key in my view. It can't be ordered, it has to be desired.

Quote:
there are very few languages which are constant throughout all languages. Math and science being two, and gunshots being another.
Heh, yeah :-). Logic could be thought of as a language; its base is math, but it delves into other areas as well.. it's the language that is necessary to come to terms with what is truly "Good" and "Evil", in my view. By the way, I classify good as that which is efficient and evil as that which is inneficient. The question then becomes, "efficient at what?", and I'd say that's a very good question. I think the most important thing to be efficient with is love. The rest pales in comparison. And I definitely think that being able to love more then one person (romantically or otherwise) can be a very efficient thing in the sense that people tend to work a lot better with love in their lives ;-).

Last edited by Scott; 04-04-2012 at 07:18 AM.