View Single Post
Old 04-03-2012, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott View Post
Some have tried; the numbers are pretty large. That being said, I think that humanity as a whole is better off with christianity then without it. I think people don't stop to consider what we'd have had if christianity hadn't become the predominant world religion. Its main competition (Islam) is, in my view, generally worse.
Its no better or worse; it is IMO the same lame horse by another name. I'm not even sure why they're being posed as competition to each other as though one without the other would be some huge game changer. These two are not the only religions of the world and most people who see them as each other's opposite with one being the big bad wolf generally only think one is better due to one seeming "normal" and the other being touted as worse by splash media and their own ignorance. All religious beliefs compete with each other if they don't share exact dogma in that case. According to my grandmother's church community, if you don't belong to a few of the fundamental christian sects they agree with, its all devil worship and you're going to hell even if it is a christian flavored faith. People feel better about rooting for the "home team" even if they don't practice any faith devoutly.

Quote:
I find that to actually be one of the most encouraging aspects of christianity. The notion that self sacrifice can be a good thing is also something I respect.
You have to be someone who idealizes self sacrifice regardless of spiritual training for any aspect of it in any religion to be practiced. If not you get this:

http://www.salon.com/2009/07/21/c_street/

Quote:
Who are you speaking to?
The OP