View Single Post
Old 04-01-2012, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polypenguin View Post
from what i've seen, there are roughly about 34,000 sects and about 9,000 denominations of christianity. But please don't take my word for it, google it.
Tried, didn't find those numbers. Could you give me the google terms you used?

Quote:
the fundamental problem i see with the bible is the same as any written word: Words are ALWAYS interpretable. take any sentence ever anywhere, and look up (via dictionary or otherwise) all of the words in that sentence, and how many different combinations can you get? the answer: a lot.

Here's an example: the letter/word "a" according to dictionary.com has 126 different definitions/meanings. when you take into account the bible has roughly 1,300 pages, you can quickly see where interpretations can spring up from.

Here's an example straight from the bible i think most people are familiar with "Thou shalt not kill." seems pretty straight forward, but does that mean we cannot kill in defense? or does that mean we cannot kill animals? or even plants for that matter? What about germs? To do that, humans could not live
Definitely. There's also the fact that stories tend to change over time; the further down the line, the more distortion inherent. I personally feel that the Zeitgeist movie, especially when seen in conjunction with the Zeitgeist Companion Guide was an excellent resource in regards to religion and christianity in particular.

Quote:
I'm not saying i have the answer to everything by any means, but for anyone to say that anyone or anything does have all the answers, i don't believe they can be truthful in saying so.
I agree. To quote André Gide, "Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it."

Last edited by Scott; 04-01-2012 at 07:48 PM.