View Single Post
Old 03-30-2012, 04:34 PM

I don't have time to respond to the whole post point-by-point, so I'll pull a representative observation and respond to that. I believe the basic thrust of my response can be extended to the rest of the post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinccenzo View Post
Which brings me to another commonality Iíve noticed; the huge tendency to inflate wants to the point of calling them needs. This is a manipulation tactic. I see it shared so often in posts on poly forums. First off, no one NEEDS to have sex.
I think your analysis is far too shallow to be useful. It appears you're positing that nothing other than what is required for mere physical existence qualifies as a need. That can be seen as so much hokum. Take a man and provide him with food and water and confine him to a shelter so that he can survive and nothing beyond that. No company, no wandering around, nothing except the merest existence. Check on his mental health in a couple of years and see how that goes.

In the not-very-distant past, doctors developed vibrators as medical tools to treat hysterical women. What, specifically, was the cause of hysteria? Lack of sex. The women were sexually frustrated and disturbed enough by it to seek medical treatment; said treatment consisted of stimulation to orgasm. Now, prudish, proper ladies having mental problems due to lack of sex indicates a problem, and that they would seek medical treatment indicates that it was a serious problem.

It could just be that humans need more than food, water, and shelter to be happy, healthy humans.

While polyamory, open relationships, and swinging are all distinctly different approaches to non-monogamy, they are not mutually exlusive. Folks can, and some do, engage in more than one of them at a time--and it's all good.