Thread: What is want?
View Single Post
Old 03-20-2012, 01:55 PM

RP,

Its been so long since my psych classes but I think need was defined as something which one "must" have in order to live a healthy human life. Want is something which one desires to have. The line gets blurred between the two from time to time which is why the discussion.

My assumption is or was the basic needs (maslow's bottom level are taken care of )and .... love, family, social contacts/network, career, and the spiritual aspect of me were being engaged in an on going basis. So when I expressed things it was coming from what I wanted...I wasn't going to die if I didn't get what I wanted. I wasn't going to be damaged if I didn't get what I wanted.

I'm not sure what the difference in outcome is if I'd have expressed myself with the word needs. If at the center of the conflict is apposing wants or needs how does it change things,

I can say to my guys ..."I need this done by the end of the day" ...or I want this done by the end of the day. I'm sure I've said both interchangeably ...or something much harsher with four letter words sprinkled in for color when necessary.

Did Maslow ever define Wants ?

I know he had been quoted a lot...Had many famous quote one went something like ... Man is an animal of perpetual wants. or something close to that.