Thread: Musings
View Single Post
Old 03-06-2012, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingedheart View Post
As I see it the "worrying issue" is the only thing I'd work on because it's stopping you from completely enjoying life. You're going to fuck up... its a given and ....who's keeping score...(if there is any tell them to fuck off) and you are going to die....so go find the happy life you want and have fun.
Absolutely. And that is the work of a lifetime. I'll write a bit soon about what things I've found help me with my tendency to worry. Mostly because it is something I've been working on for so long.

For some reason (genetics, early experiences, a mixture of those probably) my tendency to worry has been with me since childhood and used to be really extreme.

When I was around 10 or so I spent years being unable to sleep for several hours a night because I would lie awake in terror that the house would be broken into and my family and I attacked. Looking back it was bizarre. I've never lived in a house that has been broken into. Nobody I know has had an experience of being attacked in their home and yet as a kid, it utterly terrified me to the point where I couldn't sleep every night.

Even when I was much younger, it was an issue. My mum tells often the story of when I spent weeks worrying and worrying about our house being hit by a falling satellite. I was 3 years old at the time.

Mum used to leave me in front of the TV when I was that age while she dealt with my younger, difficult brother. She believed that I would be too young to follow what was going on so she just used to leave things like the news on. One day I saw a report about a satellite that was falling to earth and that triggered weeks and weeks of worrying.

I firmly believe that I am a candidate for a serious anxiety disorder and so it is the work of a lifetime to find things that help with my tendency to worry!!