View Single Post
Old 02-20-2012, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGirlInGray View Post
Neil Gaiman.
He seems to be quite the popular author here, heh :-).

Quote:
Anne McCaffrey. (but not the Pern books)
I really liked her "Powers that Be". I've also read some of the Crystal Universe, which I found to be pretty good. Looking through her entry on wikipedia, I just found out that she died recently, so like Frank Herbert, there's now a set amount of works to be read; that being said, she was quite a prolific writer :-).

Quote:
Nora Roberts (yep, I said it!).
Lol :-). Not sure if it should mean anything, but I saw an attractive woman reading one at a laundromat once (yep, I asked her what she was reading :-p). A former teacher of mine (I've mentioned her previously) wasn't into her, and I decided I probably wouldn't be either, but if someone I knew in person was reading them, I might give it a try. Speaking of this teacher, I just remembered that we had an affinity for books from Stephen R. Donaldson; I've read most of his work and really liked it. There is definitely a dark streak in some if it, but then life is full of dark streaks and I really like how he at times explores the idea of a character doing something really bad, feeling remorse and atoning for what he did (yes, it seems that the characters who do this are always male, laugh :-p). The 2 characters are thinking of are Thomas Covenant's one action with a character in the very first book in the series, and Angus Thermopyle's certain action with a character as well.

Quote:
Patricia Briggs. (Mercy Thompson and Alpha & Omega)

Gail Carriger. (Parasol Protectorate)
Hadn't heard of them, will try to keep them in mind.

Quote:
As much as I love Ender's Game and all the subsequent books, I'll no longer give someone as blatantly homophobic as Orson Scott Card my money.
I liked his Ender's Game a fair amount too. I didn't know he was homophobic. As I mentioned to RunicWolf, I might still read something he's had to say (I frequently use the library, avoiding that spending of money ;-)), but I'll keep this aspect of him in mind.

Quote:
And I LOVE Stranger in a Strange Land and Time Enough For Love, and liked a couple other Heinlein books, but I've tried to read so many other books of his and just couldn't get in to them.
I've only read 2 of his books as I mentioned to RunicWolf; I definitely really liked Stranger in a Strange Land as well as the other Glory Road, but haven't read anything else, so I may find that I don't like some so much.

Quote:
And Harry Potter.
My ex girlfriend was a real fan of the books, as well as the movies :-p. I liked the movies, never got into the books though.

Quote:
And, believe it or not, Twilight. (yes, I know they're awful. Kind of like eating Cheetos- no substance and SO bad, yet so good!!)
Laugh :-). I've read some analysis of Twilight though, and my conclusion is that it actually does have substance; it could be seen as a reflection of modern day society. I never read the books, and didn't even finish the first movie (I got stuck at the point where the female lead was going to go to a place where I believe even she knew there'd be trouble; I hate those types of situation :-p), but that impression still holds. Also, I definitely think that the author likes playing upon what seems to essentially be a polyamorous notion (the female lead's affections for 2 men).