View Single Post
Old 02-20-2012, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunicWolf View Post
Booooooooks!
Lol :-)

Quote:
Just so happens I love to read/listen to books! I'm just going to hop into favorite authors/series.

Jim Butcher
I'm a massive fan of his Dresden Files series. I'll admit I listened to most of his books in audio book format while working in my workshop, however it did nothing to diminish how much i enjoy his work. Plus hearing them read by James Marsters made them all the more amusing. The first few books where kind of flat until James started getting into it and started using voices for characters. I credit Jim Butcher with getting me really into modern urban fantasy.
Hadn't heard of the urban fantasy category before, but after looking at its definition in wikipedia, I think that Gibson and Neal Stephenson's work would qualify.

Quote:
Robert Heinlein
He's one of the classic sci-fi writers in my book. While I didn't always agree with his philosophy, his books always entertained me and often I'd come away knowing more then when I started. Plus his predictions through his short stories about the future are pretty on the money.
I only read 2 of his books:
Stranger in a Strange Land and Glory Road.

Having been in the Poly Community for about a decade (and considering myself Poly for even longer), I was actually told about Stranger in a Strange Land by a guy I know in the poly community. I really liked it; I think it meshes quite well with the Sex at Dawn notion that people generally work much better in communal tribes, not as family units of parents and children.

I really liked Glory Road because of one particular element in it, the notion that sexuality shouldn't have these hard line age cutoffs that modern societies has imposed on everyone.

Quote:
Glen Cook
I've only recently started reading The Black Company and already I love the series. I'm really enjoying the grit he puts into the series. It's a low fantasy series written about a mercenary company. That should tell you most of what you need to know.
Reminds me of Schlock Mercenary, an online comic strip I've been following for a while (though I've stopped for a bit, it's generally easy to catch up, as it's only a few frames a day).

Quote:
H.P. Lovecraft
I've been a Lovecraft fan for ages. He laid the groundwork for many of my favorite authors and works.
I've heard of him, but I've yet to actually read anything from him. Looking through his introduction in his wikipedia entry, I'm not sure I'd go or atleast some of his stuff, as I'm not a horror fan. But maybe some of his weird stuff :-p.

Quote:
Timothy Zhan
As I said in another thread, I liked his Star Wars books. However his other works are just as good. The Conquerors Trilogy is fantastic.
A author I may well read in the future.

Quote:
Orson Scott Card
Only a few of his books stand out to me, but I loved the living hell out of them. Ender's Game and Enchantment in particular.
I believe I read some of Ender's Game myself and liked it. The only thing I didn't like was that some military type thought it'd be better not to rescue some cadet from a difficult situation because it would be worse "out there". To which I thought, who cares? You help when you can. I also didn't know that he was homophobic.. not a recommendation, but I might read more of his stuff one day anyway; people aren't perfect.

Quote:
The Book of Five Rings, Hagakure, and The Art of War
Those three books stand out as very interesting reads for me. I've probably read them all a dozen times each and come out with different insights each time. While they aren't fiction, still well worth the read.
I've definitely heard of "The Art of War" a fair amount. I believe I'd read bits of it. The internet being what it is, I just googled it and read a bit of the introduction. It seems ok but... Well, let's just say that I'd want to edit what he said; there are some things that I don't think stand well on their own. This was my first strong objection:
"5,6. The Moral Law causes the people to be in complete accord with their ruler, so that they will follow him regardless of their lives, undismayed by any danger"

Good luck with that one :-p. I think I see where he's going, but I wouldn't word what he's saying that way.

Quote:
Robert McCammon
Seriously the best horror author I've read to date. Swan Song and Mystery Walk still send chills down my spine. He is, in my opinion, a much better author then Stephen King.
It seems to me you like horror, lol :-). Just something I could never get into; I find enough things to frighten me in the real world (I'm a serious conspiracy buff).

Quote:
Tales of the Jedi
I adore this series. It's got high drama, action, Star Wars, and is set well before anything else in the setting.
Cool.

Quote:
Transformers: Last Stand of the Wreckers
A rare gem to come out of IDW and Transformers comics the past few years. The writer and lead artist has been a fan of Transformers, and the Wreckers, for years and years. When he wrote the miniseries, it showed. Again, high drama, action, sacrifices, and of course a last stand or three. I felt like a kid again reading it, especially when I couldn't even wait to get to the car to start reading.
Lol :-). I never really read the comics, but I loved the original transformers cartoon. There was something so sophisticated about it.. some elements so tragic. Most cartoons I saw back in those days just didn't have these elements.