View Single Post
Old 02-16-2012, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycindie View Post
I think that, not only do you not really know what gender is, but you also don't really understand polyamory and the many configurations possible, nor do you know enough about the poly community. Maybe after learning more, you could devise a poll that would be useful. This one is not.
Yup, this sums it up.

You say you want to keep things simple, but poly isn't simple, sorry.

This frankly just comes off as kind of dickish because it would force me to choose one of my relationships to answer about, the hetero one, while ignoring my lesbian relationship. It would be easy to tweak this to say "Female, and my partner can see other people", etc, to get rid of the implied-heterosexuality problem, but that would still force me to choose ONE of my partners to answer about. Since the whole point of poly is to have more than one partner, how the heck is that supposed to work??

"This is why the polyamorous community will never gain traction in mainstream society." <-- Hey, so? We care about our lives and about being true to ourselves more than we do about society's acceptance, obviously, otherwise we wouldn't be doing this period.

And yes, sex does not equal gender. Trans people DO exist, I live with one, and it just makes you look silly when you say someone is risking being "obnoxious" by trying to redefine a word, when in fact they're using it correctly.