View Single Post
Old 02-15-2012, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycindie View Post
From Core Concepts in Health, which was the textbook for the basic Health Education class I was required to take a few years ago:
The World Health Organization defines sex as the biological and physiological characteristics that define men and women; these characteristics are related to chromosomes and their effect on reproductive organs and the functioning of the body. Menstruation in women and the presence of testicles in men are examples of sex-related characteristics. Gender is defined as roles, behaviors, activities, and attributes that a given society considers appropriate for men and women. A person's gender is rooted in biology and physiology, but it is shaped by experience and environment--how society responds to individuals based on their sex.
Both sex and gender have a range of possibilities. See: Breaking through the binary: Gender explained using continuums
Thanks for this! It would seem the distinction is more mainstream than I thought.

Something occurred to me, reading another thread last night. If people who play along the continuum between heterosexual and homosexual are "queer", and people who play along the continuum between masculine and feminine are "genderqueer", are people who play along the continuum of numbers of intimate relationships "numberqueer"?

"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge" - Charles Darwin

"Mystical explanations are considered deep. The truth is that they are not even superficial." - Friedrich Nietzsche