View Single Post
Old 02-15-2012, 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by BrigidsDaughter View Post
For me poly is an orientation. But I wouldn't call it a sexual orientation.
I wouldn't call it a sexual orientation either. Is that what was mentioned? I missed that.

Identity, according to wiki anyway, is "the relation each thing bears just to itself." "The sociological notion of identity, by contrast, has to do with a person's self-conception, social presentation, and more generally, the aspects of a person that make them unique, or qualitatively different from others (e.g. cultural identity, gender identity, national Identity, online identity and processes of identity formation.)"

Sexual orientation, according to wiki "describes an enduring pattern of attraction—emotional, romantic, sexual, or some combination of these—to the opposite sex, the same sex, both, or neither, and the genders that accompany them. These attractions are generally subsumed under heterosexuality, homosexuality, bisexuality, and asexuality."

These two definitions, when merged together, are an attempt to describe to me. Its a 'self concept' that brings "attraction to others" and a "pattern of that attraction" together. It means that I pull into my "heart' (for want of a better word) many people at once, not just one at a time.

I don't think poly is about how many relationships I have, but how I love others and the possibility I have decided to allow to express that love. I have no control over that. It is proven to me that I cannot control my love for others and my drive to express that is curvable to a point, but not healthy for me.
Anyone want to be friends on Facebook?
Send me your name via PM
My blog

Last edited by redpepper; 02-15-2012 at 12:22 AM.