View Single Post
Old 11-18-2009, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by Ceoli View Post
According to this site:

"The law mandates up to five years in jail for people who merely live as if they are plurally married, whether or not they have held a marriage-like ceremony. The penalty is the same for anyone who "assists" at such a ceremony. For instance, bringing potluck food to a triad's handfasting party would qualify.

You got me there! The law is in fact worded "293. (1) Every one who (a) practices or enters into or in any manner agrees or consents to practice or enter into (i) any form of polygamy, or (ii) any conjugal union with more than one person at the same time, whether or not it is by law recognized as a binding form of marriage, or (b) celebrates, assists, or is a party to a rite, ceremony, contract or consent that purports to sanction a marriage mentioned in subparagraph (a)(i) and (ii), is guilty of an indictable offense and liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding five years."

It has also been used only twice in 100 years and is directed at polygamists who use multiple marraigeS primarily in abusive ways towards young women. I see no wrong in that. It has never been used against a poly person as far as my research indicates.

Playing the Game of Life with Monopoly rules.
Monogamy might just be in my genes

Poly Events All Over

Last edited by MonoVCPHG; 11-18-2009 at 06:55 PM.