Evangelion is probably my favorite of all time, though Bubblegum Crisis is a close second. BC 2040 is great, but I have a soft spot for the original Bubblegum Crisis (and Bubblegum Crash, and AD Police Files...) The art in the original is a little softer, both colors and line work.
Some of my other faves:
- Ranma 1/2. All of it it great. Incidentally, I am usually pretty strict on the whole "subtitles are better than dubbing" debate. This is an exception. I still really like the sub-titles, but this has the best voice work for the English dub I have yet found.
- Tenchi Muyo. The original series, the sequels like Tenchi in Tokyo just didn't do much for me.
- El Hazard
- Magic Knights Rayearth. Perhaps a little more aimed at a younger audience, but pretty fun.
- My Neighbor Totoro
- Nausicaa, Valley of the Wind
- (Basically, any Studio Ghibli/ Hayao Miyazaki.)
By the way, Grave of the Fireflies is possibly the most moving movie I have ever seen. I do not know if I can ever watch it again, but I am very glad I watched it the one time.