View Single Post
Old 02-06-2012, 01:21 AM

I remembered something today that's relevant to this conversation.

I've always considered myself non-heterosexual, even when I had never dated any women (I'm a woman, just to clarify).

For years, I questioned whether I was really "bi" because I had never had the experience of seeing an attractive woman and thinking "I want to have sex with her." But then one day I realized, I had also never had that thought about a man. That was when it all "clicked" for me. I have never been sexually attracted to anyone whose personality I didn't know. Sure, I have found many people to be generally "attractive" but that's not the same as wanting them sexually. I wasn't sexually attracted to male strangers any more than I was attracted to female strangers, and neither any more than I was attracted to androgynous strangers.

This was a great moment for me. Finally I realized that I didn't have to fantasize about having sex with women in order to be non-heterosexual, since I didn't fantasize about men either. I just have a low sex drive and my focus is elsewhere. For me, sex is just another form of intimacy, something that is nice to share with a partner, but if something were to happen that made sex impossible, it wouldn't end (for me) the relationship.

The most dangerous phrase in the English language is "we've always done it this way."

Last edited by SchrodingersCat; 02-06-2012 at 01:26 AM.