View Single Post
Old 02-04-2012, 09:01 AM

Default My thoughts

My first inclination is to go with the dictionary definition, and then say outright "fear of loss" when that's what I mean.

After all, dictionaries have been sources of word meanings for much longer than wikipedia. There's actually no source given for wiki's definition, and it's really just that no one seems to have contested it.

Furthermore, wikipedia's definition is actually inconsistent with its own examples:
Quote:
If one worker receives positive feedback from the boss while the other employee feels like they deserved that, positive feedback jealousy can arise.
Well, if another worker received positive feedback that the other "feels like they deserved" then they really aren't "losing" anything because they didn't have that positive feedback in the first place. They keep using this "lose services" phrase, and really stretches the phrasing to actually fit "loss" into the picture, e.g.
Quote:
One partner can feel the emotion of jealousy arise if the other partner is paying more attention or time with someone else. To lose services from one partner and have their attention directed towards someone else does not have to be in a romantic way.
This seems inconsistent with what we usually think of as romantic jealousy. For example, if your partner is out of town on business and he has a romantic date while he's there, some people would feel jealous of the other woman. But according to the "fear of loss" model, if the partner is already out of town then what are you losing? Isn't it more accurate to say you're envious of the other woman? And in the case of jealousy, you direct your emotions at her rather than the business that actually took your partner out of town? If she wasn't in the picture and the "date" was a dinner with a client, then few people would describe the longing for your partner as jealousy, even though the loss is identical in either situation.
—bisexualbaker

Last edited by SchrodingersCat; 02-04-2012 at 09:12 AM.