View Single Post
Old 01-31-2012, 06:51 PM

A new semester has begun and I have my first night of classes this evening. Somehow, I got the courses and schedule I wanted. Looking forward to it, but still can't seem to drum up the same kind of enthusiasm for school I used to have.

The last 18 months since my husband and I separated has been rougher and more emotionally tumultuous than I could have imagined. One would think that without children or real property, it would have been easy, but that has not been the case. Creditors call me every damn day, I live on my student loans, and the divorce hasn't progressed at all. I look in the mirror and can't believe how much my face is drooping downward around my mouth - it looks like I've had the ability to smile surgically removed.

So, last night I made a list of four "touchstones" I will strive for in my life, with the goal of "maximizing my happiness."

Sigh... okay. Today is the first day of the rest of my life. I'm going to put my big girl panties on and make it a good one.

Oh, oh, can't you see? Love is the drug for me. ~Bryan Ferry
"Love is that condition in which another person's happiness is essential to your own." ~Robert Heinlein