View Single Post
Old 01-29-2012, 04:39 PM

A couple of thoughts:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNeacail View Post
I no longer attend "church", but I do still have my faith. I no longer call my self a "Christian" because I don't want to be associated with "religion" for so many reasons. My mother sees my (and my brother) as lost souls because we don't subscribe to ALL of her beliefs... so be it.
I second this one. Matter of fact, if some of my old "Christian" friends knew who I was hanging around with they'd flip shit (mostly pagans, heathens, atheists, and agnostics). The state of most organized religion has me rather sick. How can so many "scholars" be so wrong when the text is so plain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quath View Post
She talked about God being perfectly good. I asked her why he would send people to hell then. After all, he could put someone into an endless sleep instead of torturing them for eternity.
Actually reading the bible and not listening to the preacher helps here. The idea of Hell being a fire and torture filled pit for sinners was added by Dante to make The Divine Comedy more interesting. All the Bible says about it is that it's an eternal separation from God and Heaven. Not terribly interesting and not something atheists, or even most people, would fear.

I've thankfully never had to walk a separate path, religiously speaking, from my spouse but I know several couples that have. Sometimes it works out, sometimes it's the cause of the split. That said, I wish you the best of luck on your journey.