View Single Post
Old 01-28-2012, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutumnalTone View Post
I'd say it's one of those stupid things people make up when they're trying to describe something that doesn't have an established term.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGirlInGray View Post
I'm going to play Devil's Advocate here. First of all, making up something because there isn't an established term is one way we get new words, like Polyamorous. Being made-up doesn't necessarily make it stupid.
But in this case, it is stupid. AT didn't say that making up words in general is stupid, but that this is one example that is.

If you have more than one loving relationship, that is polyamory/you are polyamorous.

If your poly relationships are "closed," your approach to poly is "polyfidelitous."

The terms polyamorous and poly-fi already exist and are sufficient. To say one is "bi-monogamous" is really silly. I guess this may be a case where the person is trying to offset the notion that bisexuality equals promiscuity (if that is a notion people tend to have?). "Oh, I'm bisexual, but I'm not a slut. I have one male and one female partner and I am monogamous with each of them, so don't get the wrong idea about me!" It seems like defensive posturing to me. But, basically that's a Vee. Furthermore, why mix sexual orientation and relationship structure/approach in one word? You're bisexual, and you're polyamorous. Why gunk it up with new, more confusing terms?

Reminds me of the words bi-monthly and semi-monthly - no one can ever remember which means twice a month and which means every two months.

Oh, oh, can't you see? Love is the drug for me. ~Bryan Ferry
"Love is that condition in which another person's happiness is essential to your own." ~Robert Heinlein