Thread: Poly Map
View Single Post
Old 01-26-2012, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by km34 View Post
I agree that hiring someone for sexual purposes doesn't have to be cheating, but in almost every situation it easily COULD be (hence me putting OR in there).
Yeah, a sex worker generally isn't going to ask if the person is cheating on someone I think.

I also agree that to some, cheating is simply a step between monogamy and ethical non-monogamy. I'm glad it never came to that from me, but had I not fallen in love with someone as open-minded as Keith at a very early age (we started dating when I was 15), I probably would have cheated.
Yeah, finding out about poly early on is the best way to prevent cheating I think, laugh :-).

I've always been an avid believer that the general style of dating in America is just acceptable prostitution. In general the man is bringing the girl chocolates/flowers, buying dinner, paying for the tickets to the movie, driving, and basically taking all other fiscal responsibility for the time together and then the girl deep down believes she owes him something because he did all this (and most girls at some point or another do feel this way), so she kisses him goodnight. Or has sex with him. Or anything in between. It happens all the time.
True. In all honesty, I don't think there's anything wrong with it per se; I think that a lot of people, perhaps mainly women, would like some financial support from prospective partners. I think that this may come from the fact that women get pregnant and men don't; so women will look for men who would make good fathers; financial support early on would certainly look attractive from this perspective I'd think. I'm not saying that this has to be a conscious thing, nor am I saying that all women look for is good potential fathers, but I definitely think it can be a fairly important factor.

I'm still not seeing how actual, acknowledged commercial sex should be included in the charts, though.
It's a form of non monogamy. For that reason alone, I think it should be there.

Last edited by Scott; 01-26-2012 at 11:13 PM.