View Single Post
Old 01-19-2012, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by km34 View Post
Granted, some hardcore "Christians" would probably be equally frustrated by my refusal to use every strict guideline that you can garner from the Bible as my moral code.
I'm gonna throw that in quotes for ya.

While I'll admit I'm not a "Hardcore Christian" in my beliefs (God is a disco ball), at least to some, I'd like to think I've hit on a pretty good philosophy that's more "Hardcore Christian" then the radical right. I'm forever rebuffing the radical right with passages from their own book that tell them that what they are doing is wrong and that Christ would rather we hug each other then throw stones and insults.

The moral code that they "go by" is bits and pieces from an old set of laws that forbids even some of the simpler things we do today. Maybe if they went by the whole code, and not parts of it, I'd take them more seriously. After all, how many of them do you see railing against clothing made from two fabrics, or gold/silver jewelry?

What it all boils down to is fear and control. If they can get their people to fear and hate a certain group of people, they keep them under control. If all of a sudden they all actually where Christ-like, how would they steer the flock if there was no wolf at the door any more? Homosexuals have replaced the Romans of biblical times with one important exception: the homosexuals don't actually want to kill you all and tear down the church. All they want is to be accepted by it.

"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ." - Mahatma Gandhi

I would also like to state I do define myself as a Christian in a loose sense. I have a differing view of God then most, as well as different practices, and that has created some tension before. I've read the bible, front to back, but kept the Old Testament as history, with the relevant, Christian passages (hard to have Christian works without, you know, Christ), in the New Testament as the focus of my study. These are things I've been fighting for years. In some groups there is a deep resentment of Christians as a whole, often treated like the radical right treats people in their sights. I make it a personal mission to reach out to others and show that not all Christians are full of hate and spite, and that, sometimes, we can actually be pretty awesome.