View Single Post
Old 01-13-2012, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by km34 View Post
I don't think citing religious law shows that followers of a particular faith should not be loving - punishment for religious crimes (which is what is referred to in all of those verses) is not the purpose of the text or of the religion. Consequences for various actions are a part of every religion, but that doesn't mean that the only thing people should learn from it is to avoid those actions so that they don't get punished.
The point I was making was exactly that Christianity isn't accurately measurable by looking at the bible, nor are Christians themselves. I was trying to say that the Bible should be looked at in a cultural/historical aspect because it has outdated philosophies, even surrounding marriage. Anyone can get whatever they want from the Bible because it says so many things in different ways. It can be cherry picked for relateable context, but I see it as rather redundant simply because we have other sources of such understanding that don't need Jesus or a God as it's foundation. Which is more relateable to me than to someone who believes in a god/gods.

Of course I'd rather anyone who reads the Bible doesn't interpret it like Albert Fish for example. I'm glad people look at the Bible and strain out the good from everything else, even though it's an outdated source.

Quote:
Originally Posted by km34 View Post
As for the marriage being between a man and a woman, I heard a podcast the other day that went through all of the verses people normally cite in anti-gay marriage campaigns and showed how they could be interpreted to SUPPORT gay marriage claims. I will ask my brother in law to get me the info on it so I can share who it was that was speaking.

I understand it is all about interpretation, but why is everyone always so quick to interpret things in a negative light?
Because when the Bible says things like "If a man lies with a male as with a women, both of them shall be put to death for their abominable deed; they have forfeited their lives", it can't be interpreted any other way than negatively. When the Bible says to kill "adulterers", it means to kill adulterers. But depending on where you go in the Bible, you can do some sweet word acrobatics and reinterpret things as you please. This means you're manipulating something to fit what you already think. That's not following scripture, that's making scripture follow you.

All in all, my main point is that the Bible is an outdated, hypocritic source to look when dealing with things such as marriage. It's wishy-washy-messy, and forces you to pick and choose what you want to believe, which only means you're conforming the Bible to what you already think. (I'm saying "you" in a general sense throughout this post, not necessarily as YOU btw haha).

All in all, I think this is a very good, debatable topic and I'm glad you brought it up, even if in the end, we agree to disagree.