View Single Post
Old 01-11-2012, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setxfamily View Post
Where I do enjoy a good game every now and then I have noticed that as I age (gracefully mind you) my choice in games has changed as well. I'm not sure if it is a patience thing or what. I still enjoy some of my older games but I do not have the same passion I use to have for them as I did when I was younger.
I've noticed this as well. Games like Warhammer used to hold my attention for the whole 4-6 hours they'd take to play. Now I prefer much shorter games with a higher strategy/combo element to them. Playing Warmachine is akin to playing speed chess mixed with Magic. You only have so long to do your turn, models play off each other, and you've got to be on the ball thinking not only of your turn two turns from now, but what your opponent will probably do. I think it's because I'm better thinking and acting off the cuff now then I was in my early twenties.

Of course, when it comes to video games, I never was much of a shooter player, and today's shorter games bug the crap out of me. What happened to the Final Fantasy style games that would take 60+ hours to beat and focused on story rather then pretty cut scenes?