View Single Post
Old 01-02-2012, 11:28 AM

Jay and Bonnie had a New Years Day movie marathon at their house that started yesterday afternoon. Davis was there at the start, I arrived late. It was just the four of us. We lounged on the living room's two couches in our dyads, each curled up with our partner.

I love to laugh, and I do it a great deal around people I really like. When I feel an attraction to the person or people I'm with it can sometimes border on a nervous thing, inasmuch as I almost can't stop. With Gia and Eric, when we're just hanging out and chatting there'll often be a suppressed chuckle hidden behind every other sentence I speak because *something* will strike me as funny. It was like that with the four of us tonight. We made up drinking games to go with each movie and laughed and laughed at them, well into the night.

At one point I walked with Jay and Bonnie to the store up the street while Davis ran home to grab something. I couldn't remember if I'd ever been alone with the two of them before for more than a few moments. We joked, we had some short snippets of serious conversation, we walked in companionable silence.

It seems odd to go on and on about these perfectly normal aspects of close friendship but you have to understand how closed off these people are. I've known Jay for ten years total and never come close to being this close to him before. Both he and Bonnie (and Davis, I'm the one exception) have small, insular groups of tightly knit friends and like their space. When the three of them have come to see me at shows, I always know to look in the farthest back corner of the audience to find them. And at intermission they'll always be apart, outside, in their own little clump. They're hard people to get close to, hard people to know.

Intimate best describes the way the evening felt to me. Me stroking Davis's foot as he "mmmed" his approval at me, Bonnie admonishing Jay not to tickle her in a voice that she couldn't manage to keep serious, each of us riffing off the others and giggling at in-jokes we'd just created. And of course I couldn't help but sneak glances now and then at Jay's lanky, sprawled form.

Back at my place, Davis and I fucked each other silly. He passed out afterwards, I still felt wakeful so I wrote this.