View Single Post
Old 12-25-2011, 06:26 AM

Hi there. One half of a very happily-married poly couple here, living in Washington State. Poly "in theory" for some time, but still relatively new "in practice."

About me: I'm late twenties, ex-military. Grad student pursuing a humanities degree. I'm currently in the early stages of a new poly involvement -- not our first, certainly, but full of many firsts for me. My partners are both good friends, as I am good friends with the husband of my new partner. This has been a new thing, very scary and confusing, but I feel like I'm learning a lot -- not least of which about trust and self-discipline. It's funny, people think of the poly lifestyle as this very hedonistic thing, and it's not. I've learned more about restraint and decorum and self-denial in the last two months that at any other time in my life.

At the same time, however, there's the challenges of living poly in a mono world. Our lifestyle is a very closely-guarded secret, and as such it's hard to talk frankly with friends about the struggles and doubts that come with it. Which is why I'm here. I'm looking to sort out my own feelings in all this right now; I'm wrestling with a lot of questions of how to grow and better myself as a partner. I'm not really interested in new attachments, but I'm certainly not above new friendships, and even a bit of casual flirting is okay. But for right now? Just trying to learn the ropes.

Last edited by siddhartha; 12-25-2011 at 06:28 AM.