View Single Post
Old 12-08-2011, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycindie View Post
Doing okay today. Slept very late.

Yeah, I am always changing tension, never seem to find the right setting. I do need to remember to change needles, I know that they have to be sharp not to jam. But it's getting ridiculous.

My machine is a small portable (White brand) and once, about 20 years ago, a friend got me a job sewing a big curtain for a theater company. It was just a hem job, but it was a huge curtain so I brought my machine and worked on it on the floor. What the theater manager did not tell me is that he was still painting the backdrop on it while I was sewing. I needed the money at the time, so I continued but paint got into my machine and it's never been the same since. I think a general overhaul would do it some good, but sometimes I wonder if just buying a new machine would be a better solution. QVC sometimes sells machines for less than $200. I have no idea how much it would cost to fix this one.
I bought a new singer heavy duty sewing machine for $160 on amazon back in June. My first sewing machine was a white as well, one of the models that they now say doesn't exist. lol. I spent $108 to get the singer repaired because it can sew ANYTHING. My White was a piece of crap from the beginning, but my grandmother bought it for me when I was 12 and didn't give it to me for 7 years.

If you are doing just basic sewing, I'd recommend one of the Singer 2200 series. 25 year warranties rock!