View Single Post
Old 12-05-2011, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnabelMore View Post
I feel awful even saying this. I am so sad and sorry that this is happening. But I can't help it -- there's a part of me that thought "This is what family does, shares good and bad times equally, gives and accepts help in a crisis without hesitation. Maybe this will help make that which is already clear to me clearer to them as well, that family is what we are."
I had a similar thought as I read the story, but maybe from a different direction. It struck me more that this is the reason why we should take the time to cultivate deep connections with people . . . and not just with one or two people, but in networks.

It all comes down to being there for one another - to park the car, or look after a child, to get a snack for someone, or even just to exchange wan, exhausted smiles - in the middle of a crisis.

There's no reason to feel sorry for thinking that.

P.S. I'm just starting to read this thread . . . cheated by starting at the end.

"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge" - Charles Darwin

"Mystical explanations are considered deep. The truth is that they are not even superficial." - Friedrich Nietzsche